“Five from the Folder: Multicultural Repertoire” by José Rivera
Date: February 28, 2014
FIVE FROM THE FOLDER: MULTICULTURAL REPERTOIRE by José Rivera
1. "La Hia Manu" Stephen Hatfield Boosey & Hawkes # 979-0-051- 7841-5
This spirited Polynesian arrangement is filled with lyrical and energetic passages. Uses bamboo poles!
2. "Son de la Loma" Jonathan Quick Cypress Choral Music # CP 1118
This Cuban folk song is filled with rhythmic and harmonic nuances, is a crowd pleaser.
3. "Plena" Diana Saez Roger Dean Publishing # LO.15-2836R
A Puerto Rican folk dance arranged for treble voices.
4. "Taladh Chriosada" Boosey & Hawkes # M051478743
Gaelic lullaby for treble voices, violin, and piano is filled with lyrical passages
5. "He'll Make a Way" Byron Smith Onyx Publications # BS 0001
Traditional gospel style arrangement with walking bass is a concert pleaser!
(“Five from the Folder” provides brief, text-length reviews of vocal works currently in the folders of choral directors throughout the United States. To share five from your folder, contact Scott Dorsey at email@example.com)