~~Amor Artis, a New York City chamber chorus founded more than fifty years ago, composed of approximately 35 talented and experienced avocational singers with professional section leaders, organized as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit, seeks a Music Director. This position is a part-time position.
In consultation with the Board, the Music Director will program concerts, usually three a year, and will conduct the chorus and any associated instrumental players. In addition, the chorus is in residence at a downtown church, singing a mid-day liturgy on the third Sunday of each month and liturgies for some major holidays. The Music Director will be expected to rehearse and conduct the chorus in the liturgies. Rehearsals are Thursday evenings in Manhattan. The season runs approximately from Labor Day to Memorial Day (with final church services in June).
Qualified applicants will:
1. Have a suitable education in music.
2. Have experience in and affinity for conducting both professional and avocational choruses.
3. Have proficiency conducting professional orchestras playing instruments that are period-appropriate to the music selected. (Some orchestra-only music will be programmed.)
4. Possess knowledge of the choral literature of all periods, especially early music, and an ability to assemble distinctive and engaging programs.
5. Be willing to work constructively with the Board of Directors, to assist in Board development, to take an active part in strategizing and implementing fundraising efforts and to program and perform within budget constraints.
6. Be familiar with the New York City music scene, as well as the changing media and on-line tools relevant to publicizing the group's activities, and be eager to participate in building the audience.
7. Have a working knowledge of Roman Catholic liturgy sufficient to program for and perform at services, and a willingness to work co-operatively with clergy and staff at the church where the choir is in residence.
8. Have keyboard skills (desirable, but not essential).
9. Have an outstanding ability to elicit the best from all the musicians; to provide a sophisticated audience with a rewarding listening experience; and to create a joyful, disciplined, and friendly environment for the Amor Artis singers.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please submit resumés (including compensation requirements), together with a performance CD or DVD if available, to: Deirdre A. Carson, c/o Greenberg Traurig LLP, 200 Park Avenue, 15th Floor, New York, New York 10166. Electronic resume submissions accepted at Deirdreacarson@gmail.com Applications should be received on or before March 3, 2014.