Artistic Director for the Detroit Concert Choir
Date: June 19, 2014
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods , Michigan, USA
Artistic Director for the Detroit Concert Choir
The Detroit Concert Choir is seeking candidates for the position of Artistic Director because of the recent retirement of the choir’s Founder/Artistic Director. The Artistic Director will be responsible for the artistic vision and leadership of this international award-winning adult mixed choir.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced choral director who leads with enthusiasm, passion and commitment and is able to inspire a superb level of performance. The Artistic Director will possess a strong ability to interpret music and direct the choir in performances that are not only technically proficient, but emotionally moving. The position requires the command of choral and conducting technique necessary to bring the choir to the level of excellence expected in international choral competitions.
Considerable knowledge of and experience with a wide range of choral repertoire is desirable. The choir performs classical, contemporary, sacred, folk, gospel, a cappella works, works accompanied by piano/small ensemble and major works for choir and orchestra, sung in many languages. The Artistic Director will be expected to seek out unique and exceptional works for performance.
The position is part-time and the start date is projected for late 2014-early 2015.
About the Detroit Concert Choir
The Detroit Concert Choir is an international award-winning vocal ensemble. Recognized as a local, national and international pacesetter of choral music, the group has built a worldwide reputation for excellence. Now celebrating its 27th performance season, the Detroit Concert Choir is dedicated to promoting choral music of high artistic merit and cultural enrichment for the community through performance and education. DCC involves some 70 auditioned singers from over 35 communities in and around Detroit.
The ensemble presents 6 - 8 concerts each season in the Southeast Michigan area, performs for special events and community outreach activities, makes recordings, and has traveled throughout the country and abroad. The choir has enjoyed numerous performances with the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, as well as performances at American Choral Directors Association conventions.
The choir has received honors in eight international choral festivals (Wales, Spain, Italy, Ireland and Austria), including the prestigious “Choir of the World” title from the Llangollen International Musical Eisteddfod in Wales. The choir was also honored to receive the nationally acclaimed “Margaret Hillis Award for Choral Excellence.”
Performance venues locally include Detroit area historic churches and the Macomb Center for the Performing Arts, with which we are a Community Partner.
Artistic Director Responsibilities
Provides the artistic vision for Detroit Performing Artists Inc. (DPA), and is responsible for the leadership and direction of every aspect of performances by the Detroit Concert Choir and any other such organization which is part of DPA. Establishes and maintains an uncommonly high standard of excellence for performances, as well as a distinctive choral sound. Reports to and collaborates with the Board of Directors. Works in conjunction with the Executive Director to achieve goals of the organization. Part-time position, with hours and salary to be negotiated.
1) Provides overall artistic leadership and direction to Detroit Concert Choir. Develops a plan for the performance season, subject to approval by the Board of Directors. Selects music, and prepares the music for performance by rehearsing and instructing the Choir.
2) Sets the standards for singers’ participation and musical excellence.
3) Recruits and selects singers for Detroit Concert Choir through an audition process.
4) Supervises all artistic aspects of choral performances such as the choice of repertoire, selection of venues, and selection of soloists and ensembles.
5) Conducts all rehearsals and concerts for the concert season, outreach concerts, and competitions.
6) Prepares and develops the Detroit Concert Choir for suitable competitions in the local, regional, national and international arenas.
7) Develops and carries out education initiatives for DPA.
8) Supervises all recording activities.
9) Attends monthly meetings of the Board of Directors.
10) Serves as official spokesperson for DPA and the Detroit Concert Choir.
11) Participates in community activities that increase the name recognition of Detroit Concert Choir.
12) Participates in professional music organizations locally, nationally, and internationally.
13) Collaborates with the Board of Directors and Executive Director in the preparation of grant applications.
14) Creates development opportunities for member singers (vocal workshops, retreats, etc.).
15) Develops collaborative alliances within the Detroit music community.
16) In collaboration with Executive Director identifies and engages accompanying ensembles for performances.
For Additional Information
Please visit our website at detroitconcertchoir.org for additional information and application instructions under the heading, “Director Search.”