PYC Seeks Junior Choir Director
Date: July 13, 2014
Location: Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, USA
The Pennsylvania Youth Chorale is a children’s choir of distinction built on a solid music education program focused on musicianship training, theory, vocal development, and excellent performance opportunities. The PYC has been serving children in suburban Philadelphia for 36 years and is currently seeking a part time director for the Junior Choir level (boys and girls, ages 7 - 9). Rehearsals are one day a week after school for 1 and 1/4 hours. The Junior Choir performs age appropriate unison and/or 2-part music in a wide variety of styles on 4-5 shared programs per year with the Senior Choir.
Title: Artistic Director for the Junior Choir of Pennsylvania Youth Chorale
1. Select music for Winter and Spring concerts
2. Select music from choir library or purchase using the budget provided for each season.
3. Coordinate with accompanist, staff, and parent volunteers on all necessary matters.
4. Conduct weekly and special rehearsals and provide choral instruction to ensure high quality performances.
5. Schedule and hold one to one theory sessions with choir members throughout the season.
6. Provide part recordings to aid singers with independent practice.
7. Meet with Artistic Director throughout season to provide feedback and discuss program planning and artistic direction of organization.
8. Conduct junior choir in concerts (minimum 4 per year).
9. Schedule and hold auditions in the spring and winter. Coordinate these auditions with the Artistic Director and manager.
10.Communicate with parents weekly by email about upcoming events, rehearsal happenings, etc.
Part time position; salary $2,000 per annum paid in 2 installments.
Begin Sept. 2014
The PYC has a strong support team so this position can involve as much or as little “non-directorial” work as desired.
The JC director is responsible to the Artistic Director and the PYC Board of Directors.
1. Minimum of a Bachelors degree in music education preferably with a strong background in Kodaly methodology.
2. Elementary teaching experience.
3. Character traits: reliability, punctuality and organization
4. Enthusiastic personality that relates well with and enjoys working with young children.
5. Knowledge of children’s unison and SA repertoire, keyboard skills, and membership in ACDA are all pluses.
Learn more about the PYC at www.pennsylvaniayouthchorale.com
Email the director, Eileen Finley, to apply for the position at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact through the website.