Choir Director, First Universalist Church, Yarmouth ME
Date: July 23, 2014
Location: Yarmouth, Maine, Maine, USA
First Universalist Church of Yarmouth Maine is looking for a dynamic conductor to become our new Music/Choir Director. We seek a creative and collaborative leader with strong interpersonal skills, who can work with a broad range of musical talents and interests.
We are a growing congregation, currently of 160 members, with 15 to 20 in the choir.
Requirements: Choral degree with relevant experience a plus. Must be proficient on piano and keyboard while directing the choir and have a record of positive collaboration with staff and congregation members. Must be knowledgeable of classical, traditional, and contemporary repertoire in keeping with UU principals.
Reports to: The Minister and partners with the Worship Council.
Responsibilities (Average 10 hours per week):
The Director of Music at first U coordinates the entire music program. Particular responsibilities include:
· Collaborate with ministers or other service leaders in the creation of worship services and selection of anthems and hymns.
· Once a week Thursday rehearsals with choir, September through June and lead choir on Sunday mornings and at Christmas Eve service.
· Create and atmosphere that encourages choir membership and retention.
· Prepare choir for other special events, such as memorial services
· Communicate with visiting musicians about service plans.
· Maintain and enhance the music library.
· Supervise the maintenance of the church’s musical instruments and arrange for the acquisition of any new instruments as needed.
Salary (based on 10 hour/week average)
· Compensation in keeping with comparable Portland Maine, part time Music Directors.
· Up to $400 for music acquisition.
To apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume and personal references to
email@example.com. Video or audio recordings representing your musical skills are welcome