Schola Cantorum on Hudson Celebrates its 15th Anniversary!
Date: September 14, 2009
Location: New York, USA
Choir type: Professional Choirs
The 2009-2010 season showcases all-American music and features composer Dr. Roger Wesby, Director of Choral Activities at Wagner College.
Schola Cantorum on Hudson (SCH), the critically acclaimed 40-voice choral ensemble based in the New York/New Jersey Metropolitan area, marks its 15 th Anniversary with "Celebrating American Stories". The season draws its repertoire exclusively from American-born and naturalized American composers, with an emphasis on the works of contemporary composers. Introducing its inaugural Featured Composers Program, SCH will present the works of Dr. Roger H. Wesby, Director of Choral Activities at Wagner College, throughout the 2009-2010 Season. All tickets for this season's performances are offered at the special 15th Anniversary price of $15.
Artistic Director Dr. Deborah Simpkin King founded the group as an independent choral ensemble in 1995 in Jersey City. It has since developed into an ensemble that performs equally in New York and northern New Jersey, and exhibits visionary leadership within the international choral community. Dr. King states, "We are so grateful to all singers, administrators, and funders, who have understood and become part of our dream for human impact through music over the past fifteen years of extremely rapid growth! It seems only right to celebrate this country, where pursuit of a dream is possible, through its choral music in this significant anniversary year."
Some highlights of the last fifteen years include:
· Project Encore™ initiative to create a searchable database of newly premiered choral works designed to link composers with conductors/ensembles around the world
· International tour: Invitational appearance to present European premiere of Randall Svane's Mass during Salzburg Festival - 10-day concert tour through Austria and Czech Republic
· Major collaborations with prominent arts organizations: New Jersey Symphony Orchestra & NJPAC for Video Games Live & Winter Festival
· Broadcast appearance: "Las Comadres con Gloria B" on Telemundo
· Multimedia concert production: Space, Light & Discovery