Middle School Choral Music Teacher
Date: February 20, 2014
Location: Seattle, Washington, USA
At Lakeside School, we are focused on developing global citizens, educational excellence, and building a diverse community. If you share these same values, you should consider Lakeside as your next employer. Lakeside is an independent coeducational day school located on a beautiful campus in North Seattle. We are currently recruiting for a Middle School Choral Music Teacher (.875 FTE) beginning with the 2014-15 school year.
The choral teacher will join a vibrant Middle School community and a strong arts department which consists of seven performing and visual arts faculty members, some of whom work in both divisions. Specific responsibilities for this position include:
• Teaching grade-level choral classes for students in grades six through eight. Classes meet four times per week;
• Evaluating student growth though current reporting systems (comments and grades);
• Supporting ensembles and planning multiple rehearsals and concerts a year;
• Collaborating and actively participating in the work of the Middle School arts department, including collaboration with drama and instrumental music teachers;
• Providing support for students outside of class time as needed;
• Communicating with students, parents/guardians and colleagues;
• Attending arts department, grade-level team, and faculty meetings;
• Serving as an advisor for a group of eight-nine students and participating actively in grade-level team activities;
• Participating in the life of the school community including outdoor trips, field trips, service learning trips, and co-curricular activities.
Requirements and Qualifications
The successful applicant will have a bachelor’s degree in music/music education; a master’s degree is preferred but not required. Middle school teaching experience (grades 4-9) is important, as is a demonstrated appreciation for young adolescents. A sense of humor is key! The candidate must be able to work with students who vary in ability and learning styles, have experience instructing diverse populations of students, have excellent vocal and piano skills, and have experience in middle school choral repertoire and vocal pedagogy. References should address the candidate's ability to work independently, be collaborative, successfully instruct a wide range of students, and work with other adults in a high functioning and innovative educational setting. Additionally, the successful candidate must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check.
Compensation and Benefits
Lakeside School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding faculty candidates who will add to the racial, cultural, economic and gender diversity of our school community. We provide a competitive compensation package which includes, but is not limited to, a monthly salary, excellent health and welfare benefits, access to funds for professional development, housing down payment assistance program, and school-provided lunches. Additionally, Lakeside offers Faculty and Staff opportunities to participate in non-classroom teaching programs such as Global Service Learning, Summer School, coaching, etc., for extra compensation.
Lakeside School was founded in 1919, and currently enrolls 811 students in grades 5 through 12 from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, and economic backgrounds.
The School’s Mission and the shared commitment of all Lakeside employees is to develop in intellectually capable young people the creative minds, healthy bodies, and ethical spirits needed to contribute wisdom, compassion, and leadership to a global society. We provide a rigorous, dynamic academic program through which effective educators lead students to take responsibility for learning. We are committed to sustaining a school in which individuals representing diverse cultures and experiences instruct one another in the meaning and value of community and in the joy and importance of lifelong learning.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume via the online application located on Lakeside’s website (www.lakesideschool.org). From the home page choose About Us / Employment / View and Apply For Available Jobs.
Lakeside School is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking to diversify its workplace.