Hinsdale Chorale Spring Concert - May 3rd
Event Date: May 3, 2014
Posted: May 1, 2014
Choir type: Community Choirs
The Hinsdale Chorale, under the direction of Alan Wellman, will perform its annual spring concert featuring: s Coronation Anthems on Saturday, May 3, 2014, at 7:00pm at First Congregational Church, 1106 Chestnut St., Western Springs, IL.
In celebration of the chorale’s 15th season, the program will highlight music fit for a king including Mozart’s Krönungsmesse (German for Coronation Mass), one of the most popular of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's 17 settings of the Mass. This setting, like the majority of Mozart's mass settings, is a Missa brevis, or short mass, and prominently features soprano, alto, tenor and bass soloists accompanied by organ and chamber orchestra.
Many composers have written coronation anthems. However, the best known were composed by Georg Friedrich Händel. Händel's four coronation anthems were designed to be played at the coronation of the British monarch and include Zadok the Priest, Let Thy Hand Be Strengthened, The King Shall Rejoice, and My Heart Is Inditing. Each was originally a separate work but they were later published together.
- Celeste Martino of Western Springs will again join the Hinsdale Chorale as soprano soloist. She has sung in numerous professional performances throughout the United States and Europe. Recently, Celeste debuted with the Hinsdale Chorale and the Downers Grove Choral Society, and has also appeared annually with Sinfonietta Bel Canto in addition to being an active performer in Hinsdale and Western Springs Music Club programs.
- Hinsdale resident and frequent Hinsdale Chorale ensemble member and soloist, Jane Moyer, has sung professionally for many years. She also enjoys arranging music and accompanying herself on various instruments, including folk harp. Jane was one of the early members of the Hinsdale Chorale and holds a degree in Vocal Performance and Pedagogy from Michigan State University.
- Justin Dunkle, tenor, is originally from Greencastle, Pennsylvania and obtained a Bachelor of Music in Vocal Performance from the Wheaton College Conservatory in 2010 and plans to pursue a Master’s degree in Opera Vocal Performance in Texas in the fall of 2014. Justin resides in Wheaton and also sings with the St. Charles Singers, Elgin Choral Union, and Palos Park Presbyterian Community Church Chancel Choir.
- Baritone Gregory Lind is organist and choirmaster at St. Michael and All Angels' Episcopal Church in Berwyn. He studied organ with Dr. John Hamersma at Calvin College and, in addition to being a long-time member of the Hinsdale Chorale, has sung with the West Suburban Choral Union, the Grand Rapids Choir of Men and Boys, and with the Calvin Ensemble of Chicago.
- Kathy Christian continues to delight audiences as the chorale’s accompanist on piano, organ and harpsichord. Joining shortly after the choir’s inception in 1999, Mrs. Christian is a member of the music faculty at North Central College in Naperville and is very active as organist at First Congregational Church in Western Springs.
The Hinsdale Chorale is a group of dedicated professional and non-professional singers from in and around Hinsdale whose mission is to enrich the musical culture of Hinsdale and its surrounding neighborhoods by promoting the appreciation of choral singing in our community. Tickets for the event are $15.00 for adults or $10.00 for seniors/students and will be available at the door, through a chorale member, or by calling (312) 510-1823. This program is partially underwritten by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency. Further information on Hinsdale Chorale is available at www.hinsdalechorale.org
or by calling (312) 510-1823.
This program is partially sponsored by a grant from the Illinois Arts Council Agency.
- Normally announcements aren't meant to be replied to, but if you need to contact the author, click on the icon next to the author's name above.