The mission of the ACDA is to inspire excellence in choral music through education, performance, composition, and advocacy.
Artistic Director/Choral Conductor
Date: June 4, 2014
The New Jersey Gay Men’s Chorus (NJGMC), based in Princeton New Jersey, is seeking an Artistic Director/ Choral Conductor for a one year contract beginning July 1st, 2014.
About the NJGMC:
The NJGMC is a volunteer chorus drawing from communities in New Jersey and Eastern Pennsylvania and is comprised of about 30 singing members (men and women) and 14 non-singing members. During our 23 year history, the NJGMC has presented an annual concert series consisting of two or three concert weekends, as well as various community performances (gigs) as part of our commitment to involvement and outreach. The NJGMC is the only New Jersey member of the roughly 170 member international Gay and Lesbian Association of Choruses (GALA Choruses). As the sole New Jersey member of GALA, we have represented the Garden State at GALA festivals in Tampa, Montreal, Miami and Denver.
Artistic Director/Choral Conductor Responsibilities Include:
- Preparing and planning for NJGMC’s performance season, taking into consideration its mission, purpose and philosophy
- Submitting an annual program proposal to the Artistic Committee prior to starting the concert season which will include concert themes, rehearsal schedule, performance schedule, and budget estimates for all items (music, additional musicians, etc).
- Selecting music to support annual concerts.
- Integrating new members into the ensemble.
- Conducting weekly rehearsals during the concert season (approximately 35 a year).
- Conducting concerts and other performances (gigs).
- Coordinating with the Music Librarian regarding musical selections and ordering music.
- Coordinating with the NJGMC Board for concert needs.
- Working collaboratively with the NJGMC Board in developing a vision and future direction for the organization.
- Attending NJGMC Board and NJGMC Artistic Committee meetings.
- Conduct retreats for each concert series.
Qualifications for the Artistic Director/Choral Conductor Include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Music with focus on vocal performance or conducting and 5+ years’ experience conducting community choir, church choir, high school/college choir or Master’s Degree in choral conducting and at least 3 years conducting experience.
- Thorough knowledge of choral music across multiple styles.
- Basic piano skills.
- Understanding of vocal technique and the ability to explain it.
- Patience and personality along with a sense of humor.
To be considered for the position, please submit a cover letter and resume/Curriculum Vitae to email@example.com
. Review of applicants will begin on June 16, 2014.