vocal paresis and options
Date: June 11, 2014
I am 57 and a choral educator and singer and have candida, a yeast intolerance. Twenty years ago, I found I was allergic to mold after playing the organ in a musty old church. I cut yeast out my my diet and all seemed ok. I would experience over the years, laryngitis when in a moldy envornment and most recently, so sensitive that the voice will shut off ( due to mucous build up) within seconds.
I developed paresis in 2011 after teaching in a damp classroom in an old elementary school. I caught it early and began therapy and was on the mend, so it seemed.
It was not until recently that I corelated my highly intense mold allergy with this condition and when I was in mold infested enviroment, my raspy symptoms came back.
After teaching for 2 years in a moldy classroom, my administration remediated my classroom however the paresis proceeded to worsen. After three ENT visits, I went to a voice specialist and she determined that the paresis has become permanent and will need to have an injection in the left cord to expand it to meet the other. Since I am beginning to cough and choke from time to time, this seems to be the best option so I do not suffer from aspiration in the lungs due to the folds not closing completely.
Has anyone ever experienced this condition? The mold allergy, seems to have exaserbated my false vocal cord function and my new ENT tells me this injection can get me to teach again, yet may never get my voice back to performance level.