The mission of the ACDA is to inspire excellence in choral music through education, performance, composition, and advocacy.
Interim Director of Choral Ministries
Date: August 6, 2014
INTERIM DIRECTOR OF CHORAL MINISTRIES
(EXEMPT, PART TIME)
I. PURPOSES AND SCOPE:
Provides professional leadership for the traditional music program of the church, assisting people through music in their desire to follow Jesus for life. The Interim Director of Choral Ministries is responsible for the leadership and development of the Chancel Choir’s participation in all traditional worship services, church concerts, and additional opportunities that may present themselves. She/he shall have a passion for traditional choral music but also have an openness to all forms of music.
The Interim Director of Choral Ministries shall be a member of the program staff, accountable to the Head of Staff, and under the direct supervision of the Associate Pastor of Worship and Arts. She/he is responsible to the Session through its Worship and Arts Commission in matters of program and through its Support Commission in matters of compensation and performance review.
III. RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Recruits, trains, prepares, and directs the Chancel Choir in the traditional worship services of the church.
- Provides opportunities for the Chancel Choir to sing at outside events to provide growth and outreach.
- Provides professional, artistic, administrative, and spiritual support to all persons involved in the choral arts program.
- Creates and supports various choral and instrumental ensembles, including children, youth, and handbell choirs, as needed.
- Coordinates all music presentations with the Pastors for each traditional worship service.
- Serves as music consultant to other ministries of the church as needed.
- Oversees the development, maintenance, and inventory of all music supplies, including robes, instruments, and equipment.
- Attends meetings of the Worship and Arts Commission and other scheduled program meetings, as requested.
- Coordinates programming for all choirs, including scheduling and facilities management.
- Recommends employment of the directors of other music ensembles, a church organist, section leaders, vocal soloists, and instrumentalists as needed to support the choral program.
- Sustains and organizes a library that represents a wide range of choral literature.
- Gives leadership to special music events, such as recitals and concerts.
- Develops, recommends, and administers the annual traditional music budget.
IV. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Strong pastoral and spiritual commitment to Jesus Christ with a deep desire to lead others in worship.
- Bachelor’s degree in music; preferably with an advanced degree and academic training in choral and instrumental conducting.
- Five years of experience conducting church choral music preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of church music literature, while giving effect to a Reformed orientation in choir music and hymns.
- Ability to conduct major choral works with orchestra.
- Excellent interpersonal and teaching skills with attention to detail.
INQUIRIES AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
For further information or to apply for position please contact:
The Rev. Dr. Jan Farley
Associate Pastor for Worship and Mission
The Village Church
Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92067