Cantabella Children's Chorus Artistic Director
Date: August 13, 2014
Location: Livermore, California, California, USA
Starts: June 2015
Contact: Bee Chow, firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Livermore, CA USA
Web page: www.cantabella.org
Cantabella Children's Chorus (CCC) is seeking a dynamic and experienced Artistic Director who will have overall responsiblitiy for the artistic leadership of an internationally-acclaimed children's chorus. The Artistic Director will work in collaboration with the Choir Administrators to oversee the administrative functions of the organization, with the Board of Directors to provide financial and strategic oversight, and with the Artistic staff to direct musical goals for the choir.
With 7 choruses, including an advanced touring Honors choir, an SATB Chamber choir, and a Jr. Honors Choir, CCC has set the stage for excellence in music education, fine choral production and collaborative cultural arts experiences in the Tri-Valley region of the Bay Area for over 22 years. The Artistic Director will continue CCC's tradition of excellence -- teaching, directing and leading the chorus in performing a wide variety of languages and styles. The Artistic Director will conduct at performance venues ranging from local Bay Area churches to international choral festivals and prestigious events.
Current Specific Responsibilities
The Artistic Director will have primary responsibility for developing and implementing the artistic vision for the chorus; for the oversight, teaching, conducting and inspiring CCC's choristers (ages 5-18); and for promoting CCC through performances, conventions, collaborations, chorister recruitment, parental engagement and touring. Specific responsibilities include:
1. Teaching and Conducting: Conduct at least two of the four performing choirs and the corresponding joint repertoires, in all three rehearsal locations
--Pleasanton, Livermore and Dublin. Determine and teach appropriate performance repertoire in a variety of genres for each level based on skill, experience,
and age on a weekly basis. Teach related musical and performance skills including sight-reading, vocal technique and general performance skills, and oversee
integration of choral choreography. Coordinate and secure guest clinicians to arrange at least one annual choral retreat for each level of the performing choir.
2. Performance: Conduct two annual concerts per year for all chorus levels including joint and technical rehearsals. Conduct outreach performances each
semester to promote the concerts in the cities of our rehearsal sites and to achieve the performance readiness of the choirs. Coordinate with Choir
Administrators to solicit and book all private and public performances/venues. Pursue and secure other artistic opportunities including guest musicians and
artists, commissions and collaborations with other performing groups such as operas and adult choirs.
3. Touring: Lead choirs on national and international tours annually or on alternate years. Solicit appropriate touring and on-tour performance opportunities
consistent with CCC's focus on choral education, artistic inspiration and high-level performance.
4. Summer workshops for performing choirs (Camp): Prepare curriculum and repertoire, hire and oversee clinicians, direct and oversee classes and
rehearsals. Camps are held between late June and early August.
5. Management and Administration: Coordinate with Choir Administrators to ensure effective management of administrative responsibilities related to artistic
direction of CCC including the music library, musical equipment, auditions and the rehearsal and performance calendar. Supervise artistic staff and
accompanists and evaluate their performance and continuing education. Attend monthly Board of Directors' meetings and lead regular artistic and
administrative staff meetings.
6. Artistic Direction: The Artistic Director will determine the appropriate artistic direction for the optimal development of each level of the chorus while
working within the reasonable budgetary guidelines developed collaboratively and approved by the Board of Directors. As a measure of success of the
chorus's development, the BOD will conduct an annual review of the duties and salary of the Artistic Director.
7. Promotion and Reputation-Building: Promote CCC nationally and internationally. Maintain and enhance CCC's reputation as a top-tier choral
organization. Participate actively in professional organizations including attendance at yearly conventions and conferences. In cooperation with the
Choir Administrators, recruit choristers throughout the Tri-Valley region (cities of Pleasanton, Livermore, Dublin and San Ramon) to maintain/grow
chorus size and quality and to ensure financial stability and viability. Communicate with parents regularly to share long-term vision and annual plans.
8. Growth: Support the Board and staff as needed to continue the activities and growth of CCC.
Advanced degree in music and choral conducting, preferably with Kodaly training
1. Significant professional experience directing choirs, including conducting, management of auditions, music programming and rehearsal planning
2. Evidence of good understanding vocal technique and pedagogy suited for youth singers
3. Strong leadership abilities and commitment to excellence in choral performance
4. Excellent organizational skills and interpersonal skills and a desire to work with staff, volunteers, parents and young singers
5. Good verbal and written communication skills
Salary will be negotiable based on experience.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume by mail to:
Cantabella Children's Chorus
1434 Calais Ct.
Livermore, CA 94550
Or, by email to: email@example.com